Thursday, April 26, 2012

DIY on the {something quirky} Blog!

This was originally posted on the {something quirky} blog, but I wanted to post it here too! 

Hi everyone, it's Olivia here with a fun DIY for you! This tutorial is inspired by the many posts about how to make a personalized covers for your iPhone (like this one from A Beautiful Mess). The difference in this tutorial is that it is specified for the iPod Touch 4G. Neither my mom or I had stumbled upon a tutorial for iPod Touch DIY cases, so I though I'd try to make one myself without specific instructions. Keep reading if you'd like to learn how!

What you will need:
  • A digital scrapbooking kit
  • Printer
  • Card stock paper
  • X-acto knife
  • Scissors
  • Clear iPod case
Start with a new canvas sized 2.5in by 4.5in at 300 dpi.
Add the main background paper.
I added another paper, but this step is optional.
Make sure your solid background is centered. This step is only needed it you did the one before it.
Add the elements to your canvas and arrange them how you like.

I chose to add my initials on the back, but you could put pictures and/or writing if you'd like to.
This is the part where I messed up. I printed it out and realized that I had made the elements and letters to large to fit like I wanted them to on my cover. So I selected all of the elements and shrunk them down some.
Then I stretched out the second paper so it would still be the length of the cover.
Now print out your cover. With your X-acto knife cut out the places where the camera, volume buttons, speaker, etc. are. I had my mom do the trimming, and she had to go back and cut more multiple times before the case would close.

Here are the end results of my cover:


Then I also made a wallpaper for my iPod too! I just Googled the size and made it to match my cover. I uploaded it to Photobucket and downloaded the picture to my iPod from the Photobucket app. Here's what it look like:


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Olivia

Just a note: This cover was made for a iPod Touch 4G. This tutorial may translate well to be used for other generations of the iPod Touch or the iPhone. The screenshots are taken of me using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. I used Studio Flergs' Indigo Nights: Freebie and Sahlin Studio's In The City Alpha to make my personalized case.
Post a Comment